3. PLAN HOW YOU WILL VOTE
You can now choose the most convenient way to vote - by mail OR in person at your polling place on Election Day. Follow the instructions carefully and make sure your ballot is received before 8PM on Election Day. Make your plan NOW.
How to vote by mail - READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
Step 1: APPLY for a mail in ballot
- Go to www.vote.pa.gov , click on the “Mail in and Absentee Ballots” button, and follow the easy instructions
- A ballot will be mailed to you.
- Your completed application for your mail in ballot must be received in the county office by 5:00 PM on 05/10/2022.
- Go to Voter Services in person to apply for one on the spot: 601 Westtown Road, West Chester PA 19380 (610-344-6410).
- If it’s close enough to election day, you may be able to get your ballot, fill it out, and turn it in during this visit. But be sure to do your research first on the candidates! (See below: What’s on the Ballot? Who is Running? How do I Research the Candidates?)
When you receive your ballot, follow the instructions carefully:
- Fill in the oval with a black pen for EVERY position on the ballot
- Put your completed ballot into the secrecy envelope and seal it shut.
- Put the sealed secrecy envelope into the return envelope and seal it shut.
- Sign and Date the return envelope where indicated
- Make sure the return envelope has prepaid postage or use a stamp
- Call Voter Services if you forget to put your ballot into the secrecy envelope, or make a mistake in any of the above, because that mistake might cause your ballot to be rejected
- Make any identifying marks on the ballot OR the secrecy envelope
Watch this short video tutorial on how to fill in your ballot CORRECTLY: https://youtu.be/FuDTzB9ZuuI
Step 3: RETURN your completed ballot
- Mail your completed ballot back immediately! No later than 2 weeks before Election Day
- If it’s within 2 weeks of the election date, bring to a Ballot Drop Box instead
- Check here for secure Drop Box locations in Chester County: https://www.chesco.org/156/Voter-Services
- You may only drop YOUR OWN BALLOT in a drop box. It is illegal to drop another person’s ballot, even it it’s a relative’s, friend’s or neighbors.
How to vote at the polls
- Find your polling place listed on your voter registration card, or check on www.vote.pa.gov (click on the “Voting in PA” tab then scroll down to “Where’s my polling place?”)
- Go to your polling place between 7am – 8pm. You may bring your kids.
- You do NOT need ID unless you are a first-time voter or are voting in a new location. Acceptable ID includes driver’s license, US passport, voter registration card, military, student or employee ID, firearm permit, current utility bill or bank statement, paycheck or government check, any ID issued by PA or federal government.